BUTTERFLY BANNER

BUTTERFLY BANNER
Papercut and colored pencil art by Sheryl Aronson X 5

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

A Prayer for Any One, Any Day

I want to share with you my favorite prayer. Even if you normally don't pray, keep reading. This prayer is non-denominational, and doesn't mention anything relating to G0d or religion until the last line, and you can leave that off if you want. I found this prayer in the Reform Jewish prayer book, Mishkan T'filah.It is normally read on Shabbat (Sabbath), but other than the last line, can be read any day. It was written by Rami Shapiro, and originally was published by the Reconstructionist Press in Kol Haneshama.

May these hours of rest and renewal
open our hearts to joy and our minds to truth.
May all who struggle find rest on this day.
May all who suffer find solace.
May all who hurt find healing on this day.
May all who despair find purpose.
May all who hunger find fulfillment on this day.
And may this day fulfill its promise.
Baruch atah Adonai, m'kadeish HaShabbat.
(Praise to You, Adonai our G0d, who sanctifies the Sabbath.)

I often can feel my attention and intention increase while reading this prayer, as compared to other prayers we read during the typical Shabbat service. I think that is because all too often, I can fit myself into one or more of these categories, and I am seeking healing.
For myself and for everyone, I pray for rest, solace, healing, purpose and fulfillment, today and every day.
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment