BUTTERFLY BANNER

BUTTERFLY BANNER
Papercut and colored pencil art by Sheryl Aronson X 5

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

A New Pain Resource

I got a copy of a new magazine in the mail last week, unsolicited. It was addressed to 'Sheryl Aronson, Occupational Therapist'. They likely bought mailing lists from professional organizations, and sent the magazines out, hoping to get therapists to put it out in their waiting rooms for patients to read (smart advertising- I plan to do just that, as soon as I finish reading it). There is a page of tear-out slips with the magazine's name and website, so patients can tear one off and take it home to look up the site.
The magazine is called Pain Resource, and is actually not a new magazine, but was formerly known as Pain Solutions. I do not know why they changed their name, but according to Lorie A. Parch, Editor-in-Chief, it is 'new and improved'. I don't recall ever seeing Pain Solutions, but I do like what I see in the magazine I received. It has interesting, informative articles, on topics including why people don't get adequate pain treatment, breaking the pain/depression cycle, food and inflammation, and how spirituality can help with coping. There are short tidbits of info, as well as longer articles and personal anecdotes.
Besides the paper and ink magazine, there is an online community at www.painresource.com. There you will find more articles, personal stories, ask the expert, forums, blogs and resources such as how to write a pain journal- enough to keep you busy for as long as you want. This website is fairly new, and not all of the features have much in them yet, but I think that will change as more people find this site.
The magazine is published 4 times a year, I don't know the cost. Joining the online community just takes a moment to register, and is free. Give it a try. The more people who join, the more useful and interesting it will be for all of us.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment