BUTTERFLY BANNER

BUTTERFLY BANNER
Papercut and colored pencil art by Sheryl Aronson X 5

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Acupuncture

I have had a headache for about 5 weeks now, and have had little success with controlling it. Yesterday, I tried something new, which I had been thinking of trying for several years now: acupuncture. I don't know yet if it will help or not, but wanted to tell you about my experience.
I had several pages of medical history to fill out before the session, and then the acupuncturist talked to me about it, and about my issues for about half an hour at the beginning of the session. She has treated many people with Fibromyalgia, so seemed to have a good grasp of what I was telling her. She said we could treat multiple issues at once, while focusing on the headache as the main issue.
She had me lie down on a comfy bed, with pillows under my head and knees. I did not have to take any clothes off, just roll my pant legs up over my knees. She dabbed the spots for the needles with a bit of alcohol, then put in the needles. They are fairly long and very thin, and don't go in very deep. Most of the needles gave me a very slight sting when they went in, then I did not feel them. A few hurt a little more, she adjusted them and they felt better. I had 3 in my forehead, one in each hand, 2 just below my belly button, and several in each leg.
The acupuncturist left the room, the lights low, a heat lamp aimed at my feet, and quiet music playing. I don't know how long the needles were left in- maybe 1/2 hour? I relaxed, let my mind wander, trying not to really think about anything. I did not sleep, but I definitely got very relaxed. My headache calmed, but did come back later that evening. She suggested I relax after the session, but I had to prep dinner and get my son to the airport.
The acupuncturist said that it could take several sessions before I notice improvement, so I will try to be patient. I am scheduled for another treatment in one week. I am hopeful that acupuncture will help not only my headache, but other pains, sleep issues, urinary issues and fatigue. This post is not meant as an informative piece on acupuncture, but just about my own experience. As I have more sessions, I will post more.    
According to the brochure I picked up in the office, the most common ailments treated with acupuncture include: back pain, headache, allergies, arthritis, fertility, and chronic fatigue. For more information about acupuncture, see one of these sites: National Center for Complimentary and Alternative Medicine, or Acupuncture Today.  They have info, plus links to lots of other info. If you think you want to try acupuncture, be sure to check out the person's training and whether they are licensed/registered/certified (whatever is required where you live).

No comments:

Post a Comment