BUTTERFLY BANNER

BUTTERFLY BANNER
Papercut and colored pencil art by Sheryl Aronson X 5

Friday, June 28, 2013

Strawberries Anyone?

It is strawberry season around here, and I love it. We can get strawberries all year round now, but it isn't the same. Most of the berries we get are large, have white centers, and often yellow areas on them, because they were picked too soon and are not ripe. They have a mild strawberry flavor.It is a pleasant taste, but not too interesting.
For about 3 weeks early each summer, my local produce store gets Amish-grown strawberries. They are more expensive, but so worth it. They are small, generally 3/4 to 1 1/4 inches in diameter, so they are also more work to prepare. This is where I have some issues. These strawberries are so, so good, red all the way through, with a real intense strawberry flavor. (I'm getting hungry, anyone else?)
I was told this is the last week they would be available this year, so I wanted to hoard the strawberries, to get extra so they would last. So instead of buying one quart, I bought two, telling myself I would make strawberry jam. Three days later, I haven't made any jam, and I have a feeling I won't. The idea of hulling that many strawberries overwhelms me. I can easily do 10-12 berries at a time for breakfast or a salad, but 150, or whatever number it would be? My body aches just thinking about it.
On the other hand, I will need to hull them to do anything with them, even to freeze them for later. Oh, what to do, what to do. As my mom used to say, "May that be the worst of your worries." to quote a Yiddish saying, "From her mouth to God's ears." Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment