BUTTERFLY BANNER

BUTTERFLY BANNER
Papercut and colored pencil art by Sheryl Aronson X 5

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Repent Every Day

Jewish New Year, Rosh Hashanah, is this Sunday night, Monday and Tuesday. This is the time of the year that we are instructed to review our behavior over the past year, to ask forgiveness of anyone we have harmed intentionally or unintentionally, and to repent for our transgressions.
There is a Jewish proverb that says we should repent one day before we die. As we don't know when we will die, the moral is to repent every day for anything we may have done wrong. This makes much more sense to me than repenting once a year for a whole year's worth of sins. First of all, how are we supposed to remember everything we did the whole year? Second, if I did something eleven months ago, and I do remember it, I have been carrying that burden way too long, and so has the person I have wronged.
If  I realize I have done something wrong, I readily acknowledge it, apologize, and make amends. I like to take care of any issues as they come up, and be done with them. I don't like carrying any more burdens than I have to.

If I have unknowingly caused distress to anyone, I sincerely apologize.

No comments:

Post a Comment