BUTTERFLY BANNER

BUTTERFLY BANNER
Papercut and colored pencil art by Sheryl Aronson X 5

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Just For Today, I Can Cope With My Life

Just for Today is a prayer written by Kenneth L. Holmes and used by Narcotics Anonymous.  The basic premise is that there are things in life that are hard to endure.  If I think about doing it day after day after day, I will crumble:  I can't do it, I am not strong enough.  But If I focus on just getting through today, I can manage it.  If I have to go through it again tomorrow, so be it, but I don't have to think about that now. I only have to think about getting through today.

This prayer came to mind this morning because I am 'fatiguey'.  I didn't sleep well last night for unknown reasons, so today I feel foggy and disconnected.  My body feels a little wobbly, and I have slight nausea.  Basically, my whole system is just a little 'off'.  I used to feel this way constantly.  Now I only get it later in the day when I have been especially busy- more so from being brain busy, than from being body busy, or on days when I didn't sleep well. 
I hate this feeling.  It is hard to function feeling like this. I know in all likelihood I will feel better tomorrow, but if not, tomorrow will take care of itself.  Just for today I will manage, I will be gentle with myself because I know it is not my fault. Just for today, I will take care of all the things I planned for today, because I know, from past experience, that I can do what I need to do despite this feeling.

I recommend adding 'Just for Today' to your vocabulary.  Living with chronic illness or chronic pain can be trying not only physically, but emotionally as well.  The realization that it is not going away can be scary and devastating. By focusing on getting through 'one day at a time'  (this phrase is from Alcoholics Anonymous).  life is more manageable. I work on 2 Psych wards at a hospital. My patients are usually in crisis when they come in.  I tell them that sometimes even 'one day at a time' may seem overwhelming, and if all you can handle is one hour at a time, or even one minute at a time, that's okay.  Focus on getting through right now, making this moment of your life the best it can be. Tomorrow will get here when it gets here.  If you took care of today, you will be ready for tomorrow.  

No comments:

Post a Comment