BUTTERFLY BANNER

BUTTERFLY BANNER
Papercut and colored pencil art by Sheryl Aronson X 5

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

ARTIST AND THERAPIST

Welcome to my blog. This blog is about art, healing, and using art for healing.


ART: I am an artist. My favorite media are colored pencils, papercutting, stained glass and silk painting. I like bright colors, and often contrast them with black. My themes are Jewish/spiritual, nature, humor, and anything else that calls to me. Sometimes I will show a piece of my art, and tell what inspired me, and about the techniques I used, and sometimes I will have patterns and instructions for projects you can try.


HEALTH: I have Sjogren's Syndrome, fibromyalgia, and a variety of other odds and ends. For people who don't know what these are, I will help you understand. For those people who know all too well what they are, I will write about coping, and about living your life the best you can with chronic illness, chronic pain and fatigue.


ART FOR HEALING: Evidence has shown that art can heal in many ways. The process of creating art can be soothing, can be a release, can be similar to meditation, and much more. Art also provides a means of expressing thoughts and emotions for which we can't find the words. I will write about these processes and benefits, and sometimes provide projects or ideas for you to try.


So, who am I? I am not an art therapist, but I play one on TV. Actually, I sometimes play one at my job on an inpatient psychiatric unit at a hospital. I am an occupational therapist, I work with a team that includes occupational therapists, art therapists, recreation therapists and chemical dependency counselors. I don't work full time, I work PRN. That means I work 'as needed'. Whenever someone else on the team is out for vacation, conference, sick or whatever, they call me in to cover for them. I lead groups on a variety of topics, including stress management and anger management, with a different slant depending on who I am covering that day. I am also a founding member and co-leader of our local Sjogren's Syndrome support group. My actual title is 'education chairperson', though I sometimes accidentally refer to myself as the 'science officer'. I am the one who either finds a speaker for our meetings, or leads the session myself, on some aspect of coping.


I also love books, and will share with you some of my favorites creative and self help books.

No comments:

Post a Comment